Rev Seidel Abel Boanerges, BA (Hons) MTh, FHEA
Tutor in Christian Mission and Theology
Seidel teaches practical theology subjects such as mission, evangelism, apologetics, world religions, homiletics, professional ministry and practice.
Seidel is a Baptist Minister and has a first-class honours degree (BA) in Applied Theology; Master of Theology (MTh) degree in preaching with distinction; and he is currently pursuing a professional doctorate in practical theology from the University of Chester. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AdvanceHE) and has a professional Higher Education Teaching Certificate from the Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University (HarvardX).
Seidel grew up in Hyderabad, India, and after his initial studies in Commerce (BCom), he worked with GE Consumer Finance as an Assistant Manager. After his theological education and ministerial training in the UK, he was accredited and ordained as a Baptist Minister by the Baptist Union of Great Britain (BUGB). In the past, he worked as an Assistant Youth Worker, St. Andrews Church, Bournemouth; a Minister at Rosebery Park Baptist Church, Bournemouth; Development Officer and a Part-time Lecturer at Moorlands College, Christchurch and Director of Outreach and Lecturer at Capernwray Bible School, Carnforth. During his time at Moorlands, he regularly spoke on a popular apologetics radio show on 90.1 Hope FM, discussing theological and contemporary issues regarding the Christian faith.
Seidel is a visiting lecturer in theology at a few UK and European theological colleges and a guest preacher and speaker at several churches, organisations and conferences. He is a Trustee/Member of the Board of Directors for Capernwray Hall and Bible School and Global Action UK. Recently, he has been selected as a Baptist Scholar for the 2020 Baptist Scholars International Roundtable (BSIR) organised by Baylor University. He has also been elected as the next Moderator of the Baptist Union Council (BUGB), a post he will take up in 2021. He is married to Linda, and they have a daughter, Nina.
- Equipped to Minister:
- 517 Mission and Evangelism
- BA Level 4:
- 150 Introduction to Mission
- 153 Missional Church
- BA Level 5:
- 256 Evangelism and the Local Church
- 260 Contemporary Homiletics
- 273 Christian Apologetics
- BA Level 6:
- 372 Pioneer Ministry
- 362 & 364 Chaplaincy
- 390 & 391 Dissertation Supervision
- MA, MTh Level 7:
- 456 Preaching, Worship, Pastoral Care
- 741 Preaching – Theology and Practice
- 742 Gospel and Contemporary Thought and Culture
- 760 Mission and Ministry in Contemporary Society
- 490 Dissertation Supervision
- Ministerial Formation: Professional Ministry and Practice (various levels)
Fellowships and Memberships
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AdvanceHE)
- Member of the British and Irish Association for Practical Theology
- Member of the Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians
- Member of the International Society of Christian Apologetics
- Member of the Baptist Union Council, Baptist Union of Great Britain
In the past, he served the Baptist Union as a member of the Racial Justice Working Group, Younger Leader’s Forum, Baptist Council and a few other tutoring and teaching roles.
Significant Speaking Responsibilities
- Guest lecturer for Anderson University Summer School in London
- Visiting lecturer for Latvia Bible College, Riga, Latvia
- Guest speaker for London Baptist Association (NAMs Conference and Portfolio Summer School)
- Guest speaker at the International Congress on Preaching, Cambridge
- Guest speaker for the UK Indian Christian Organisation Annual Conferences, London
- Guest speaker for University of Cambridge Christian Union, Cambridge
- Official host of the 2015 Baptist Assembly, Baptist Union of Great Britain
- Debates with the British Humanist Association, Bournemouth University
- Doctoral research presentation at the European Evangelical Theologians Conference in Prague, Czech Republic
- Guest preacher for various churches in India, USA, UK, Romania, Germany, Italy
2020: Foreword to Brian Harris, Why Christianity is Probably True: Building the Case for a Reasoned, Moral and Relevant Faith (Milton Keynes: Authentic, 2020)
2021: Book Co-editor – Anthony Reddie and Seidel Abel Boanerges (with Pamela Searle) (eds.), Intercultural Preaching (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2021)
2021: Book Chapter – Seidel Abel Boanerges, ‘Theological and Contextual Foundations of Preaching’, in Intercultural Preaching, ed. by Anthony Reddie and Seidel Abel Boanerges (with Pamela Searle) (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2021), pp. 28-49.
2021: Book Sermon – Seidel Abel Boanerges, ‘What is the Meaning of Christmas’, in Intercultural Preaching, ed. by Anthony Reddie and Seidel Abel Boanerges (with Pamela Searle) (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2021), pp. 237-240.
Publications (Christian Magazines)
2015 – present: Regular contributor to Capernwray Magazine (yearly) and Capernwray Newsletter (weekly), Capernwray Hall and Bible School, Carnforth.
2015 – present: Regular contributor to The Christian Hope, an Indian Christian magazine, Hyderabad, India. I have written a series on the 12 Apostles, 12 Women of the Bible, 12 Heroes of Faith, and several theological and current topics.
2021: Magazine Article – ‘A Glorious Hope in Jesus Christ’, Kapari (‘The Shepherd’, An Indian Christian Leadership Magazine), March 2021, Hyderabad, India
2018: Interview with Rev Prof Philip McCormack and Rev Seidel Abel Boanerges, ‘Spurgeon’s: A Multicultural College’, in Baptists Together Magazine, Spring 2018, p.27.
2021: Magazine Article – ‘Lamenting with Hope’, Idea Magazine, UK Evangelical Alliance, May-Jun 21
2021: Book Chapter – Seidel Abel Boanerges, ‘Kingdom Shaped Apologetics – Making Apologetics Accessible to All’. To be edited by Dr Joao Chaves (Princeton Theological Seminary) and published by Baylor University Press.