If you are a UK taxpayer you can sign up to Gift Aid and we can reclaim the tax you have already paid on your gifts.
This means we can turn a £10 gift into £12.50, and a £50 gift into £62.50 – at no extra cost to you.
If you would like to make your gift go further, all you have to do is complete our Gift Aid form, return it to us and we will do the rest.
You don’t necessarily have to be working to be paying tax. Apart from tax on income from a job or self-employment, the tax you’ve paid could include:
- Tax deducted at source from savings interest
- Tax on State Pension and/or other pensions
- Tax on investment or rental income (including tax credits on UK dividends)
- Capital Gains Tax on gains
- Other taxes such as VAT and Council tax do not qualify, nor does any non-UK tax
If you are a higher rate taxpayer you can claim relief equal to the difference between the higher rate of tax at 40 per cent or 45 per cent and the basic rate of tax at 20 per cent on the total value of the donation – a total of 20 per cent and/or 25 per cent. So if you give £1 and are liable at the 40 per cent tax rate you could claim relief of 25 pence (20 per cent of the total gift, including Gift Aid, of £1.25). You can get more information from the HMRC or from your professional advisor.