Thank you for your application to Spurgeon’s College. We hope that you will find this letter helpful as you prepare to study in the UK.
Before we can make you an offer for the course of your choice, we need to make sure that you and us as an institution are fulfilling all requirements of the UKVI regarding your student visa. In providing all the necessary documents you will help make your visa application a smooth process.
Initial Application Process
The following documents are needed with your application form or straight after submitting it:
- Passport -a scanned copy (NB: your passport must be valid for the full length of the course)
- Certificates and transcripts of previous degrees and /or relevant qualifications (translated and certified if not in English)
- Immigration history (have you applied for or been refused a UK visa before)
- Details of any previous studies in the UK; what, where and when you studied, and any qualifications you achieved
- Confirmation of which language your previous qualifications were taught in
- SELT / IELTS Academic test certificate from an approved provider (if you have one)
- Personal statement
- Bank Statement indicating you meet the financial requirements
Once we receive all these documents, we will review your application and if all entry requirements are met, invite you for interview.
The Interview Process
Before the interview we will need to see / know
- Proof of finances: We need to see a 28-day bank statement, for an account in your name that shows that you have enough money for the first year of your course and living expenses in the UK. For more details, please see the government’s website.
- Whether you are you bringing dependents with you to the UK?
During the interview
The interview will be two-fold. You will be interviewed by two of our academic staff about the course you are applying for (the academic interview), and you will have a second interview with the Director of Admissions and the Head of Regulation, or their representatives, about the practical expectations and the visa process (the practical interview).
Both interviews will take place via Zoom.
During the practical interview you will be expected to show the following documents, so please ensure you have them to hand
- Your passport
- Any relevant certificates e.g., qualifications, IELTS etc.
Post Interview (if successful)
If successful, we will make you an offer for a place on the course of your choice and initiate the CAS process. You will require a CAS number from the College in order to apply for your student visa. The college issues the CAS numbers at the beginning of July and beginning of August.
Below is a list of documents you will need to provide the College with after a successful interview. We require these in order to approve and apply for your CAS number from the UK Home Office.
- Further financial evidence that covers a 28-day period which ends no later than 30 days prior to the CAS being issued (NB: this is likely to be for a different 28-day period than you previously provided evidence for)
- Term time address: Please note that you will need to find housing privately. Spurgeon’s College does not offer accommodation.
- Pay the £1,000 administration fee for international applications
- Sign and return your acceptance form with the deposit, international admin fee and registration fee by the date on your Offer Letter.
- If your qualification was not obtained from a registered UK learning provider we will normally need some further documents from you in order to provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study number (CAS)
- If your non-UK qualifications are from a country who does not need to prove their knowledge of English (see list of countries here) you will require
- A SELT / IELTS Academic test certificate from an approved provider of at least 6.5 for the undergraduate programme or 7.0 for all postgraduate courses (if your previous qualification was NOT taught in English)
- If your non-UK qualifications are from a country who does need to prove their knowledge of English (see list of countries here) you will require either
- A Visa and Nationality Service (English proficiency) (https://ecctis.com/Qualifications/VAN/Default.aspx if your previous postgraduate qualification was taught in English
- If your non-UK degree was not taught in English or was below Undergraduate level, you will normally require two documents
A Statement of Comparability (https://enic.org.uk/Qualifications/SOC/Default.aspx)
SELT / IELTS Academic test certificate from an approved provider of at least 6.5 for the undergraduate programme or 7.0 for all postgraduate courses (if your previous qualification was NOT taught in English)
UK travel, entry, and visa requirements differ by nationality and the country you are travelling from and are frequently being changed and updated by the UK Government. So please ensure that you keep up to date with the latest requirements for your country.
Once we have received all the documents and information we require from you, we will apply to the UK Home Office for your CAS number.
Once we have issued you with your CAS number, please keep the College informed of how your visa application process is progressing and of your expected date of arrival in the UK.
Before you apply for your visa, please read the ‘ which was sent with along this letter. This guide has been produced by UKVI to help you with your application.
If you are a successful applicant, we will look forward to welcoming you to Spurgeon’s College for the start of your course.